Disclaimer: These Books have been selected by Defend Truth Ministries to give the reader a greater theological and historical understanding of these important subjects. We would heartily recommend them for any one hoping to discover the true nature of these false religious and ideological systems. Although some of the content of these books is at times controversial, Defend Truth stands by their soundness and usefulness. Although we stand by the books on this list, Defend Truth does not necessarily affirm all of the given beliefs or views of every author or publisher on this list. If anyone has any questions on our recommended resources please feel free to contact us at Defend Truth Ministries.
Publishers and Purchase locations: Almost all of these titles are available for purchase through www.amazon.com. Publishers are listed below. Some of the older titles are rare, and hard to find but are also available through amazon reprints. Please feel free to contact Defend Truth Ministries for help in acquiring resources.
Top Recommended Reading
1. The Kingdom of the Cults 6th Edition by Walter Martin. Bethany House Publishers: Minneapolis, Minnesota
This work has been considered a classic by Evangelicals for decades for its documentation of the Cults. Mormonism, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Science and other prominent Cults are all covered here. The 6th edition of the work has included new information and made slight changes to reflect the changing nature of the Cults without overthrowing Martin’s original work. This book is the definitive work for Evangelicals on this subject.
2. The Doctrine of Balaam by CR Cali. Wrath and Grace Publishing: Columbus, Georgia
Pastor Cali has written a bracing book. He is clear, decisive, focused and forceful in his argument that Christians should take our marching orders from the written Word of God rather than the secular culture when we think about and respond to the abortion holocaust that plagues America. [Review by Tom Ascol]
3. The Forgotten Trinity by Dr. James White. Bethany House Publishers: Minneapolis, Minnesota
The Forgotten Trinity is a concise, understandable explanation of what the Trinity is and why it matters. It refutes cultic distortions of God. It shows how a grasp of this significant teaching leads to renewed worship and deeper understanding of what it means to be a Christian. And amid today's emphasis on the renewing work of the Holy Spirit, The Forgotten Trinity is a balanced look at all three persons of the Trinity. [Amazon]
4. Presuppositional Apologetics: Stated and Defended by Dr. Greg Bahnsen. Edited by Joel McDurmon. American Vision Press: Powder Springs, Georgia
Dr. Greg L. Bahnsen, the definitive champion of Cornelius Van Til's revolutionary Reformed apologetical method, wrote this systematic treatise and defense of Biblical apologetics many years before his untimely death. This magnum opus of apologetics lays out the Biblical presuppositional method, provides rigorous Biblical proof, and defends the uniqueness of the method. [Amazon]
1. The Church of Rome at the Bar of History by William Webster. Banner of Truth Trust: Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
William Webster examines a number of Roman Catholic doctrines such as tradition, justification, Marian doctrines, and papal primacy from an Evangelical Protestant perspective. Webster makes his argument from both Scripture and Church history making extensive use of the Church Fathers. An excellent introduction to Catholic Doctrine.
2. The Roman Catholic Controversy by James R. White. Bethany House Publishers: Minneapolis, Minnesota.
James White is the director of Alpha and Omega Ministries, A Reformed Evangelical apologetics ministry. The Roman Catholic controversy examines Roman Catholic theology and doctrine and shows that there are still fundamental and unavoidable differences between Evangelicalism and Roman Catholicism. Another excellent book for Catholic Theology written from an Evangelical perspective.
3. Fifty Years in the Church by Charles Chiniquy. The Protestant Literature Depository: London, 1885; reprinted 1981 by Chick Publishing, Chino, California
The moving true story of Charles Chiniquy. A nineteenth century Roman Catholic priest who came to see the errors of the Catholic Church and by God’s grace was saved and converted to Protestant Christianity. This wonderful testimony gives insight into the true nature of the Romish Church and the sinfulness of the clergy. A timeless classic.
4. The Two Babylons by Alexander Hislop. Loizeaux Brothers: Neptune, New Jersey (Republished by various publishers.)
An Expose of the pagan origins of Roman Catholic beliefs. The Two Babylons shows how Babylonian beliefs went through the ancient world through nations such as Egypt, Assyria, Persia, Greece and Rome and finally made their way into the Romish Church. Mary worship or the mother and child worship is perhaps the greatest example of Babylonian belief that has continued to this day. The mass, confessional, priesthood, Romish festivals and holidays and the Popes are all covered here. This book has been attacked by critics at various times but is extensively documented and researched. A must read.
5. Fox’s book of Martyrs by John Foxe. Various Publishers.
An account of the Christian Martyrs throughout Church history. This book shows the bravery of the Lord’s servants in history such as John Wycliffe, John Huss, William Tyndale, Thomas Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley, etc. Fox’s book of Martyr’s also chronicles the terrible of the persecution of the true Church at the hands of the Church of Rome both before and during the Reformation. Historical events as the fires of Smithfield and the Saint Bartholomew massacre are laid out in this work. An account of Christian history that has been largely forgotten.
6. Contemporary Rome viewed through History by Dr. Clive Gillis. Ambassador Productions Ltd: Belfast, Northern Ireland.
A collection of easy to read articles on various topics relating to the Vatican. Some included topics are Marian Shrines, Opus Dei, The mystic Padre Pio, the Jesuits, occultism in the Vatican, Banking scandals, etc.
7. The Jesuits: The Secret Army of the Papacy by Shaun Wilcock. Bible Based Ministries: South Africa. Ordering information available at www.biblebasedministries.co.uk
The Society of Jesus otherwise known as the Jesuits was founded to further the Counter Reformation, destroy Protestantism and to increase the power of the Pope across the world. The Jesuits are the most powerful and dangerous of the priestly orders. Today little known about this mysterious group of priests. Written by a Baptist pastor in South Africa. This fifty-page book is an informative introduction to the Jesuits written from a Christian perspective.
8. The Jesuits in History by Hector Macpherson: MacNiven and Wallace, Edinburgh, 1914; reprinted 1997 by Open-Bible Ministries, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
A history of the Jesuits from their founding in 1534 to about the turn of the twentieth century. The Jesuits in History covers the founding of the order by Ignatius of Loyola, the spiritual training and formation of priests, their work to stop the reformation in England and Scotland, the expulsion of the order from various countries, the disbanding and revival of the order and their work in the first Vatican council. A readable and informative history of the Jesuits.
9. The Secret History of the Jesuits by Edmond Paris. Chick Publications: Chino, California.
Another history of the Jesuits showing their diabolical nature and fanatical devotion. Topics of note are the Reductions of Paraguay where they enslaved the Guarani natives in a form of proto Communism and their involvement with the two world wars and the rise of the Nazis. A badly needed exposure of the truth.
10. Hitler’s Pope by John Cornwell. Viking Penguin Books: Middlesex England.
John Cornwell, a practicing Catholic, initially set out to write a book defending Pius XII of charges of being complicit with the Nazis and ignoring reports of the Holocaust. When Cornwell was given access to records of Pius XII, he discovered that these claims were true and really just the tip of the iceberg. A history of Pius XII making a deal with the Nazis to stop Communism and further the geopolitical aims of the Vatican.
11. The Vatican Moscow Washington Alliance by Avro Manhattan. Chick Publications: Chino, California.
A history of the Vatican from the end of world war two to the modern day. The book shows the political goals of each respective Pope. Pius XII was firmly anti communist and sided with the U.S.A and the C.I.A after the second world war. John XXIII and Paul VI reversed this strategy and allied with the Soviet Union and the advance of Communism. John Paul II realigned with the Americans but only to aid his own agenda. A history of the modern Vatican.
12. On the Edge of Apostasy: The Evangelical Romance with Rome by Robert M. Zins. White Horse Publications: Huntsville, Alabama.
An exposure of Evangelical compromise and ecumenical overtures towards Rome. Exposes the document Evangelicals and Catholics together. Prominent Evangelicals listed include James Dobson (Focus on the Family), Chuck Colson (Prison Fellowship Ministries), Jim Neuhaus, J.I. Packer, Bill Bright (Campus Crusade for Christ), and Max Lucado. Shows the widespread ignorance of Evangelicals in regards to Rome.
13. A Lamp in the Dark: A history of the Bible (DVD), Adullam Films (Available for purchase at Amazon or www.adullamfilms.com.)
A History of the Bible and the Christian Church through the middle ages and reformation periods. Covers the Waldenses and Albigenses, the Inquisitions, John Wycliffe, William Tyndale, the translation of the King James Bible, the Papacy, Jesuits etc. A wealth of information.
1. Marx and Satan by Richard Wurmbrand. Living Sacrifice Book Company: Bartlesville, Pennsylvania
Marx and Satan is an alarming expose of the Satanic/Luciferian nature and origin of Communism. The book documents Marx’s obsession with Satan using Marx’s own writings such as his poetry. Lenin and other Communist leaders are shown to be Satanists as well. Written by a Lutheran Pastor who suffered under communism behind the Iron Curtain. A key book for understanding the spiritual darkness behind Communism.
2. The Naked Communist: Exposing Communism and Restoring Freedom by W. Cleon Skousen. Izzard Ink Publishing Company: Salt Lake City, Utah
Written by a former FBI agent who spent much of his career diligently studying Communism. The book has been praised by Conservatives for decades as a must read on the subject including Ronald Reagan and Ben Carson. The book lays out the origins, history, ideology and goals and tactics of Communism in detail.
3. That Hideous Strength How the West was Lost: The Cancer of Cultural Marxism in the Church, the World and the Gospel of Change by Melvin Tinker. EP Books distributed in the USA by JPL Books, Wyoming, Michigan
Melvin Tinker introduces the Concept of Cultural Marxism and displays how it has wreaked havoc in the Western world. Tinker introduces concepts such as Frankfurt School, Critical Theory and Political Correctness to the reader. The book shows how Cultural Marxism has overthrown traditional values and culture using Sexual immorality, feminism, homosexuality and a host of other issues. The goal is the overthrow of the West and the creation of a new society.
4. New Lies for Old by Anatoliy Golitsyn. Multiple Publishers
This book was written by the most important Communist defector to ever flee to the West. Anatoly Golitsyn was initially debriefed by James Jesus Angleton the first head of Counter Intelligence for the CIA. The book documents the long-term communist strategy of lulling the West into a false sense of security through the means of disinformation. It shows how the collapse of Communism was disinformation designed to fool the West and that Communism is still at work today. History has validated Golitsyn’s predictions.
5. The Perestroika Deception by Anatoliy Golitsyn. Multiple Publishers
The follow up to New Lies for Old. The Perestroika Deception documents the “collapse” of communism and the supposed democratization of former Soviet nations in order to further advance global Communism
These documentaries expose the Communist Conspiracy in America today. The documentaries document how Cultural Marxism is being used to radically change America and lead it toward the final goal of a Communist nation. Two excellent documentaries.
1. Social Justice Vs. Biblical Justice: How Good Intentions Undermine Justice and Gospel by E. Calvin Beisner: Multiple Publishers.
Beisner defines social justice and compares it to a biblical definition of justice. He shows how social justice is incompatible to Biblical Christianity. A helpful introduction.
2. Social Justice and the Christian Church by Ronald H. Nash: Academic Renewal Press printed in U.S.A.
Nash defines Social Justice in detail and interacts with many relevant concepts such as Socialism, Capitalism, Economics, the Welfare State and Liberation Theology. Nash unashamedly advocates the necessity of understanding political and economic theory and that good intentions do not excuse bad policies. Social Justice is analyzed by Nash from a Christian Conservative worldview.
What Every Christian Needs to Know About the Qur’an by James R. White. Bethany House Publishers: Minneapolis, Minnesota.
An introduction to Islamic belief from an Evangelical Christian perspective. A very helpful work showing the teachings of the Qur’an for the Christian. A great starting point for studying Islam.
1. Is the Mormon my Brother? Discerning the Differences Between Mormonism and Christianity by James R. White. Bethany House Publishers: Minneapolis, Minnesota
James White doctrinally evaluates Mormonism while staying true to their own sources and official teachings. He shows that the beliefs of Mormonism are another religion and another gospel. An excellent introduction to Mormon beliefs.
2. The God Makers: A Shocking Expose of What the Mormon Church Really Believes by Ed Decker and Dave Hunt. Harvest House Publishers: Eugene, Oregon.
This book exposes the pagan beliefs of Mormonism and how it is indeed a cult. The book also shows the connection between Mormonism and Freemasonry and the Occult. Ed Decker one of the Authors is a former Mormon. A book that gets to the heart of the true nature of Mormonism.
Occult Theocrasy by Edith Star Miller a.k.a. Lady Queensborough. Multiple Publishers.
This book chronicles and explains the various secret societies and occult groups in history including the Gnostics, Rosicrucians, Freemasons, Theosophists, New Age etc. This book is well documented and researched and is a reliable work on a most controversial of topics.
Babies are Murdered Here and Babies are Murdered Here 2. (DVD) Available at www.endabortionnow.com.
These documentaries show the heinous sin of Abortion for what it really is which is murder and show the growing movement to abolish abortion in the United States. Hypocrisy in the contemporary pro-life movement is also documented here.